Friday, May 3, 2013

Constitution 101: The Declaration of Independence

The Declaration of Independence
by Thomas G. West

First of all let me just say that I. AM. SO. SORRY!  I have put this blog to the "back burner" for far too long.  I finally decided that I needed to get back to it and make it a priority for my life, so that I could learn (or rather brush up) more about the Constitution and the way the founders meant for this country to be run.  I feel that it's important to understand these things especially now a days and this particular lecture really helped me understand why it's important to really know our rights as citizens.  So with that being said.....

                                                        ...............................................................................

Thomas West talks about how man (meaning mankind, or human beings) are created equal.  He went into how we are equally free and independent and we can give up those rights by giving in and submitting to the government.  Equality does not mean that we have a right to equal access to the good things of life.  For example, a minimum wage, health care, etc.  He then goes on to say that we are born with five basic natural rights which are life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, acquiring and possessing property and free exercise of religion.  With these rights come a duty.  We have a duty to defend those rights.  He also talks about three things the government does to defend and secure those rights.  
1.  Criminal laws
2.  Civil laws
3.  National defense
He also talks about how We the People consent to the government to fight for and preserve our freedoms and how we consent to be governed.   
The government should not have to provide things beyond our natural rights.  I think we as a people forget, or even don't know in some cases, what the government is for. This was a great lecture with so much information in it, so I really encourage you all to go and watch this lecture.  It's about 40 minutes long and very easy to watch.  (Meaning that it has substance and just really well done).  Then, after you watch it come back a tell me what your thoughts are.  Here is a link to the website.  So you can register if you have not already or if you have you can log in  https://online.hillsdale.edu/login


Have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment